Wednesday 31 October 2012

Guess I didnt Need Wiggo Afterall!

The Halloween Half turned out to be not so scary

Well I did it, and to say I was pleased with myself as I crossed the line at just before 1pm on Sunday afternoon would have been the understatement of the century.
 
One last push to the finish
 
 
I arrived in Worksop and spent a panicked five minutes in the car searching for my arm band, essential as it would hold my ipod and the all important playlist. I had done my kit check in the car before we pulled away and it was there. I was sure I had seen it as I pulled out my hat just moments earlier. I pulled everything out of the bag; bottle, hat, change of clothes..no armband!!! It was only then I realised that I was in fact already wearing my armband. I took this as pre run nerves. I said my goodbyes to Chris and the Girls, who were off for a much more sensible stroll around Clumber Park and toddled off to get my race number.
 
As I queued I pondered that I really, REALLY didn't feel nervous, and this was completely unexpected. I had been bricking it the night before the Great Yorkshire Run, and here I was, lining up for a very hilly half marathon, more than double the distance and triple the hills, and not a butterfly to be found. As I took my place with the other 2hr+ runners I took a little look around me, there was a man to my left who was 80 if he was a day, and on my right I had almost the full complement of the Mystery Machine; Scooby, Shaggy, Daphne, Velma and two ghosts (Fred was clearly missing in action) and I made a silent vow, I don't care what my time is, as long as I finish ahead of my elderly gentleman and Mystery Incorporated (the day I cant beat an octogenarian and a man in a Scooby Doo costume is the day I hang up my trainers for ever!) However, vow or no vow, as we set off and turned left up the hill towards Clumber Park, Mr Octogenarian (Barry as I later discovered his name was) and Mystery Incorporated left me for dust. Depressingly, over the course of the next ten minutes I was passed by many, many runners. A look behind me at about one and a half miles showed that there was perhaps only 20 people behind me, and they seemed to be closing fast. Glancing at my watch revealed I was running at slightly faster than my target pace, so going any faster would be pushing it. I had a choice to make, did I speed up to avoid the risk of being last over the line, or did I stick to to the planned race pace and give myself more chance of getting round? The ten miles round Derwent weighed heavy in my mind, and I reminded myself that I had not run a half marathon distance in four years. Sensible Rachel won the day, and I stuck to the race plan. Happily, by mile 2 people had stopped overtaking me and I settled down and began to really enjoy the run. It was beautiful! The Nottinghamshire countryside was in full autumn glory, and the views took in farmland and the edge of Clumber Park. After the very up and down first four miles were behind me, we turned to enjoy four miles of running through the park.
Entering the park looking fresh as a daisy

 The rain held off and as I left the park at mile eight I was amazed, I still felt good, not fresh by any means, but I was still enjoying the run.  I even found the energy to have a little joke with the marshalls, asking to take a short cut back into town, I was refused and the photo shows my obvious devestation! I was slowly but surely starting to overtake people, including Mystery Inc, however Mr Octogenarian still eluded me. The comedy signs on the way down to the sponge station were an hilarious interlude, although as I women I feel I have to object to the one that read "90% of women running this race should be home cooking Sunday dinner" and the one which warned "Danger, Rabid Squirrels" had me slightly on edge. As I passed the 10 mile marker I was elated, only 5K left and I knew there was a good downhill section to come. However, all of a sudden I was in trouble, it was like my legs realised they were in new territory, 10 miles+. My quads contracted, my hamstrings pulled and I was in a lot of pain. This continued for the next ten minutes and I honest to god felt like giving up and walking back. Only stubbornness kept me putting one foot in front of other, and thankfully, as I passed the 11 mile marker it eased a great deal. I looked at my watch and was flabbergasted to see I was coming through 11 miles in just less than 2 hours, if I could do the next 2.1 miles in less than 21 minutes I would come in under 2hr 20min. Did I dare push? Could I push? I was going to give it a go! I went up a gear and headed into the grounds of Worksop College. As Eye of the Tiger (I swear its true) came on I had come through the first mile in 10 mins 20 seconds, some very speedy mental maths told me I had to cover the last 1.1miles in 10 minutes 40 seconds. Not possible I thought, my legs hurt and I was tired, but it was down hill all the way so I went for it. As I reached the bottom of the hill, Mr Octogenarian was in my sites and I claimed him with 600m to go. As I rounded the final bend I knew I had fallen short, but I gave it one last push down the hill and crossed the line with a huge smile on my face.

  My split times proved how hard I worked, I did the last two miles quicker than the first two, but alas, my poor legs just had nothing left, and my time was 2 hours 20mins and 20 seconds, slightly dissapointing at the time but far far better than expected.  Had it not been for the undulating (to put it mildly) course, I may have been a shade faster, however, had it been a flatter first few miles I may have gone off too quickly, and found myself in the position of many of those I passed in the last couple of miles, good runners capable of fast times who had just gone off too quickly and paid the price. The only down side to my unexpected good time is I beat both my play list and the my family to the finish line. Charitos of Fire didnt reach my ears until I hobbled to get my t-shirt and collapsed on the floor to attempt to stretch my now screaming leg muscles. It took ten minutes before I was able to make it to the car.

 
 
A good stretch, a hot bath, a cuppa and a jacket potato restored me to full health, and I sat back to enjoy a smug sense of satisfaction. So, next stop London Marathon. I have decided to fit a few more races in between to help keep things interesting, another half marathon, ideally in February or March,  and a couple of 10K's. Any suggestions and offers of companionship gratefully received. However, the next big challenge is the Marathon. Still a daunting prospect, if you had asked me to turn around and do the race again on Sunday, I would not have got very far! But in my first training session in late April I couldn't run for more than two minutes and on Sunday I ran 13.1 miles. As it took me six months to get from 0 to 13 miles, I feel confident I can get from 13.1 to 26.2 in the next six.
 
Wish me Luck and follow Team Little Legs along the way.

http://www.facebook.com/TeamLittleLegs

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/RachelMarsden1
     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment