Wednesday 2 October 2013

London Calling ....

Rachel will get her moment on the mall

Hi guys, Long time no blog!

(Warning, over tired grumpy girl alert, read with caution)

There are many reasons for the lack of contact, the biggest being my return to work. I am giving serious consideration to employing Prof Brian Cox, renowned physicist and bit of educated crumpet, to invent a time machine. This would allow me spend all day at work, the evening training and then go back in time so I can spend the evening with the kids, homework, housework and bedtime stories, and then go back in time again and do RCGP e-portfolio and all the reading and studying that I need to do to keep up-to-date and be a safe doctor. Full time work on top of training, study, portfolio, three kids, housework and cupcake baking (now baked over 1,000 and still going) is leading to a tired and slightly grumpy Rachel. Its a good thing that I love my job, and I really really do. I loved working as a GP for six months in the south east of Sheffield, and my time at the Children's Hospital so far has been amazing. Lots of cute kids and a fab group of fellow docs who are supportive and happy to buy my cake!

So to business, how's the training going I hear you ask, very well I am pleased to say. I am up to 20 miles, and although I have to admit the last five miles feel like I am running through treacle and my muscles are stiff as a board. I am fine as long as I keep moving. Its like my body just quietly thinks to itself "she's off on one again", but if I stop for any serious length of time my body regains control and locks my knees so no further running is possible. However, I am slowly winning the battle, and so far (touching wood with all my might) I am injury free and my foot is largely holding up. So on Sunday I am running the Royal Parks Foundation Half Marathon, 13.1 miles through glorious London Parks with my wonderful friend Sonia for company. I cant wait, especially as 13 miles is now a relatively short run. I am not getting cocky, once I get over ten miles the Marsden legs start to whinge, but at least on Sunday they will only be whinging for about half an hour!

Fund raising continues to go well, I am earning between £100-£150 per bake sale and getting very nice comments about my cakes. I enjoy making them and love doing the stalls, I have even graduated to a couple of farmers markets, but as my friend Caroline pointed out to me at the last stall, I am a crap sales woman. I just cant believe that people will pay good money to buy my cakes, even though I have to say myself they do taste lovely and I am getting pretty good at the decoration now. Despite all this I still feel embarrassed to ask people to pay for my cake. I would be rubbish if I ran my own business.

So since we last spoke in April there have been many changes. I am in the market for a pay as you go inventor, I have become cake maker extraordinaire and I am in real danger of making it round 26 miles. There is also one more new thing I am delighted to tell you about.
The gorgeous baby sleeping on a knackered Rachel (I had been up until four am making the cakes for the sale and then back up at eight to finish them in time) is Indiana Michelle Savage, Born on 2nd July 2013 to ecstatic parents. This is Quinn's little sister. She is an excellent reminder of why I am adding on to an already pretty loaded schedule. Indy's parents Caroline and Nick have never been shy of singing the praises of the medical professionals who supported them and helped usher Indy safely into the world. Tommy's help support the work done by teams like the one in Sheffield, and also support parents who were once in the dark place Caroline and Nick found themselves in last year. Not only is Indy an excellent reminder of why we need to support Tommy's, she is also a symbol that no matter how impossible a goal may seem to be, it pays to never give up.

I must leave you now. I have to up at six tomorrow for a work related conference, and I have eight miles to run before bed. Its cold, wet and foggy out there, but actually, writing this blog, thinking about Quinn and looking at the picture of me and Indy has frankly left me inspired. Hand me my trainers and my reflective bobble hat, I'm going in!

www.facebook.com/TeamLittleLegs

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/RachelMarsden1

No comments:

Post a Comment