Friday 11 April 2014

Three...Two..One...GO!!!!

Last one to the Mall cleans up





My dear friends and supporters, the day is upon us. The last training run has been completed, the suitcases are packed and the taxi is on route. In 48 hours I will be safely enclosed in the red start area waiting for the off. I believe the only words that I can use to describe how I am feeling are

LETS DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am ready. I have carb loaded, drunk lots of water, gone to bed early, and now I cant wait. This afternoon I will go to the London Marathon Expo and pick up my number, and then there will be nothing left to do but kick back, sight see, and drain London of carbs. Last year I travelled down to London feeling a failure, having pulled out. I cried when I saw the barriers out at London Bridge, and again when I watched the runners on the Embankment from the London Eye. I told myself next year would be my  year, but if I'm honest, I didn't believe it. I thought I would fail again. Well what a difference a year has made. I know Sunday will hurt, and I would be fool hardy if I wasn't a little nervous, but I KNOW I can do it. I have trained as much as any full time doctor with three kids can do, I have paid attention to my nutrition, and I have stretched properly. I have also let go of the ridiculous notion that I am only a valid marathon runner if I can run a marathon in less than four hours, SOD THAT!. A six hour marathon is the same distance as a two and a half hour marathon, and every bit as awesome an achievement. I do have a time in mind, and will be seeking out the runners world pacer, but you know what, if I pull something, feel unwell or tire in the heat, I will not give a flying fiddle if I have to slow down to get round. What ever the time on the overhead banner at the finish, I will still have made it to the end, and will have a London Marathon Medal for my collection and that means everything to me. A sweet time would just be the icing on the cake!


This has been a big week for Team Little Legs. Caroline and Nick immortalised us in Lego, and Tommy's very kindly asked me to write for them about why I am running for them and published the blog on their website. Caroline and Nick have taken time out of what I know is an insane schedule to help me meet my target and you know what..we smashed it!! This really does make a huge difference and if I was feeling good before, I currently feel so amazing that I could be convinced I was headed for the win! Honestly, Mo who? Last night there was a cascade of good will messages, donations and emails that honestly left me feeling overwhelmed. It takes a lot to make me cry, but I sat at my computer and sobbed as I passed the £3000 mark. Team Tommy's have 130 runners on Sunday, and in the last 24 hours we have stated sending a group round robin email with good luck messages and a little bit about why we are running. These messages are heart breaking, heart warming and inspirational in equal measure, and have solidified my resolve that I am running for a truly awesome cause.

Before I sign off and alight the train (first class baby, cause I'm worth it!) can I just say a very big, very sincere thank you. Thank you for following me for two years, thank you for your sponsorship, thank you for your kind words and support. There will be more thank yous in what will probably be my last post next week, but in the meantime here's a hug
Taxi's here, no more blogs now until after the race but I will update you via twitter with lots of photo's, pre race build up and let you know how I get on after the race. Let me finish by saying this;

Be fast Mo, be swift, cause I'm gonna be right behind you!

GO TEAM TOMMYS!!!!!!!!!

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/RachelMarsden1

No comments:

Post a Comment