Monday 16 July 2012

The next challenge looms...

So....how do you train in a monsoon?

As of today there is less than one week to go before Becky and I take on the Clumber Park 5K. How's the training going I hear you ask?? Well, the training is going well, but it is all indoors. Now don't get me wrong, I'm a Yorkshire lass and I'm no stranger to bad weather. I have run in wind, rain, thunderstorms, snow and hail the size of golf balls but only ever for a few minutes at a time. That's the thing about British weather, if you don't like it hang around, there will be some more along in a minute. However at the moment its rain, rain, RAIN! Its all very well heading out into the rain for a run on your own, but dragging a pre-teen along with you is a different matter. Becky is a good girl, and would run in the rain if I asked her, but motherly love seems to preclude me asking. So we have been hitting the treadmills.  My fab husband Chris has brought my treadmill into the dining room so we can train whenever we like. Becky seems to be struggling with the distance a little, but that's mainly because of the sheer lack of outdoor runs. I myself seem to be getting along fine, I ran a 10k in 65 min 39 secs on last Thursday and my latest outdoor 5k was finished in 32min 12 seconds. I feel like i have tonnes more energy, which I am taking as a sign of improved fitness. I am a little worried about how Becky will cope with the 5k. She has done the distance before, at 8 years 1 month she ran a cross country 5k in 33mins, but that was a glorious spring and we were outdoors all the time. However, we have a few more days left and will hopefully squeeze in a few more sessions.

And how is the weight loss going? (my your full of questions today!). I lost 3lb in my first week and I am chuffed. The diet is making me eat lots of fruit and veg and I am sure that is why I have more energy. I am hoping that I may have lost another couple of pounds before the race, which should make the run a little easier. I must admit there are tough bits, the cake counter at Chatsworth today was an exercise in willpower but I did it.

Back to the training and surprise surprise its raining out, so onto the treadmill I go!

follow us as usual at

www.facebook.com/TeamLittleLegs

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/RachelMarsden1

No comments:

Post a Comment