Saturday 4 August 2012

Hurry up Mum!!

Rebecca and Rachel Complete Team Little Legs Second Challenge

So once again Team Little Legs tied on their trainers and got going for Tommy's. This time it was at the Clumber Park 5k. Evie was taking part in the role of chief cheerleader and the running was down to Rachel and Rebecca.  A gorgeous hot day awaited us, however this added a whole new dimension, we just weren't used to running in the heat. With the race starting 40 mins late we had almost run out of water and had to go on a desperate hunt for extra. But we soon off and as the photos show it was all smiles at the start.



 So we were off and as usual clumber park did not disappoint as a running venue. I have done the Worksop half marathon twice previously and love running through the park. I however knew how hilly the park is in places, and was a little worried when I found us headed toward the biggest hill in the park. My watch had broken and as we reached the bottom of the hill I felt that our target time of 35 minutes was looking doubtful. Becky was an absolute trooper though, and despite the heat and hills never looked tired. Eventually the top of the hill arrived and a new challenge arose, the muddy forest track was wet and churned up and it soon became obvious that Team Little Legs new challenge was to get down the steep hill with intact ankles!
 The 4K marker arrived and Rebecca wanted to sprint away! I was shocked, very little training, a huge hill, heat and she was still wanting to sprint. I knew I was not going to have enough in me for a full kilometre sprint and held her back until the the last 400m. As we got to the finish line I was stunned, the time was less than 32mins! At a guess we think our time was 31mins 50 seconds, it was defiantly less than 32 minutes and to say we are chuffed as we crossed the line hand in hand is an understatement. I was so proud of Rebecca and who knows what she is capable of if she trains full pelt.

Thoughts now turn to our next challenge on 2nd September. I have a 10K and the girls are also running, Rebecca 3K and Evie 1.5k. I will keep you informed!

As ever you can follow us on facebook www.facebook.com/TeamLittleLegs and please visit our fundraiser page on http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/RachelMarsden1

NOTE: The Clumber Park 5K was a Race For Life. Although Becky and I were raising funds for Tommy's we gave a large donation to Cancer Research UK and if anyone feels they would rather support that equally worthy cause please do so. Thank You for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment