Tuesday 4 September 2012

Great Yorkshire Girls

Team Little Legs conquer the Great Yorkshire Run



Sunday 2nd September arrived and Team Little Legs were once again wearing trainers and pink vests. The day of the Great Yorkshire Run 2012 was here and boy was it a hot one. We each had our own individual challenge ahead, 10k for a nervous Rachel, 1.5K for Evie and the pocket rocket had 2.5K between her and the finish line.

As I arrived in town I couldn't stop smiling. I last ran a competitive race in October 2008 and I had forgotten how much I loved lining up with all the other competitors. It was hot, hot, hot and I took the decision to set off with the slower runners at the back. As I lined up next to a storm trooper, I contemplated my target time. I wanted to get round in 70mins, my best time in training was 72. After a downhill start the course was flat until the last 1k, which contained some absolutely killer climbs, including a finish up Commercial street. The hot weather and the fact I was setting off at the back (which any runner will tell you means you are going to walk for most of the first 500m until the crowd thins) made me decide to kiss this goodbye. I resolved just to get round, and as long as I beat the storm trooper home I would be happy. So the start came and I was right, several bottle necks meant I pretty much walked down to park square, but then I was off and before I knew it we were on Penistone Road. IT WAS HOT, and there was no shade, but my music blasted and the KM markers ticked away. A brief stop to refill my water bottle at 6k slowed me down (its the first time I have ever run out of water during a 10K) but the sun went in, the breeze picked up, and suddenly we had reached 8K and were heading back into town. I had glanced at my watch several times and my pace was fast, I was aiming for 11min 12s miles but my pace was often sub 10min miles. I forced myself to slow down, but I had come through 8k (5 miles) in only 52 mins and still felt I had loads in the tank. As I got to 9K I was cursing myself, thinking I should have pushed myself harder, perhaps I could have made it sub 1hr!!! Then came the hills, first up to West Bar, then up Snig Hill and then back down again before the long hard tug up Commercial Street. My team were waiting for me at Leopold Square, and their shouts of "come on mummy" got me to the 200m to go mark, but I had NOTHING left in the tank by the time I got to the top.

A cheer from my lovely in-laws got me round the last bend and I crossed the line in 65min 2s. I was delighted and think if it hadn't been for the hills I would have been close to 1hr.

After a sit down and a subway sandwich it was time for Evie to line up. She was determined to run with the Tommy's tin, "people may want to give us money".




 As we set off it was apparent our training had paid off, Evie was quicker and was running for longer without needing to walk. By the time we got to the Peace Gardens we were flying but then DISASTER, Evie went down on the cobbles. We had a minute to get over the shock but soon she was off again and I struggled to keep up (please bear in mind I already had 10k in my legs). Her poor grazed knees started to hurt  but we held hands and screamed our way to the finish.



A time of 8m 48s (1.5k is just short of a mile and she spent at least 30s on her bum) was her reward and she wore her medal with pride.




So now it was the turn of the Pocket Rocket. We studied a map of the course and decided where to cheer her on. I stood on Arundel gate to cheer her through the 1K mark, Daddy would wait at the Peace Gardens to see her into the last km and Momah and Grandad would be at the bottom of Norfolk Street. Grandad asked what time I expected her to finish, I said 15minutes, based on her last time of 18mins for a 3K.  Becky went to the start and we took our positions. The junior race was made up of two waves, Red were 12-14 year olds and Blue 9-11. Becky was Blue, and they set off 2min after the Red (this is relevant later I promise). At 13.50pm they were off and I was amazed when the front of the Red wave runners came through 1K in just over three minutes, outstanding. At 13.52pm Rebecca's wave set off and I waited for her to complete the first KM. To say I was stunned when she came through 1km in around 4 minutes would be an understatement. I screamed myself hoarse. I watched the winners come through and the first girl for the blue wave finished in an amazing 7m 4s. Where would Becky come? How far behind would she be? The time ticked away and the blue girls crossed the line, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and the clock still hadn't reached 10 minutes, Becky couldn't go under 10 mins surely???



At 9m 30 sec I saw Becky come into view, as the photo shows she was overtaking girls in the red wave, and they had a 2min head start! Once again I screamed....COME ON BECKY!!!!!!!!


She did it! I wasn't sure of the exact time but I knew it was under 10 minutes. In the end it was 9m 56sec, 6m 21s mile pace, a pace I could only dream of. She came in 10th position in her wave and was a very proud young lady.

 
The Great Yorkshire Run was a great day in so many ways. First of all it was fun. I really enjoyed my 10K and the girls had a great day, I was so proud of them. I have completely caught the running bug again and as any runner will tell you I have got the inevitable next times, next time I want to go under an hour, next time I want to do a half marathon... I am energised again and feel completely up for the next challenges. Rebecca has decided to join a running club to see if her obviously natural ability can be turned into something more, she knows she will have to work hard, but who knows? Little Evie now bows out of the running challenges, but her contribution has been wonderful and she will still be there on our other fund raising events.
 
Once again you can keep up to date with us through facebook, please hit the like button.www.facebook.com/TeamLittleLegs
 
 Sponsorship as always needed and can be given through our fund raising page http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/RachelMarsden1

No comments:

Post a Comment