Thursday 27 September 2012

The Loneliness of The Long Distance Runner

All by Myself....Don't wanna be All by Myself


Evie Cross Trains in Millhouses Park


So its almost over, one last family run on October 7th at Braham Park in Leeds, and then I am all on my tod. The long runs are now also living up to their name. I have a ten miler scheduled for this weekend and at my current pace, that's about 1hr 50 mins of running. I have almost always been a solitary runner, my husband, though I love him dearly, would only run with me if I stole his Xbox, and would stop as soon as he had caught me and retrieved it. I had a fabulous running mate before things all went Pete Tong four years ago, a firefighter by the name of Corin, but I tried to keep up with her during a half marathon and ended up in Bassetlaw District General (Cheers for that Corin) Thinking about it however, it may also have had something to do with the four carbo gels and two bottles of lucazade sport I guzzled. Other than Corin, non of my friends have really been runners. I have done a few 5K type distances, but never anything longer than 4 miles with them. This never bothered me, I would lace up my trainers, strap on my headphones and run to what ever beat or book I had selected for that day. I ran round Rother Valley to the Woman in White, and round Howden listening to Newton Faulkner, and other than them had no one for company. But now I am spoilt. I have done several races with my children and had them to train with in the early stages and I got used to the company. Now I am starting to cover longer and  longer distances the girls cant join me and I find this sad. Evie is no longer training, she has turned her attentions back to world domination, and that is a full time job. Becky is running twice a week, once with school and once with the Hallamshire Harriers, she loves it, especially being in a club. I am expecting good things from her on the next 5K. Maybe I should follow Beckys example and join a club, I still worry I am a little slow, that's my main reason for not running with Corin at the moment, that and the threat of hospitalisation. I think I will just have to put it out there that I am doing long runs and see if anyone is up for it. So looking at the weather forecast Saturday is the day for my long one, its a good route though so it should be fun. If worse comes to worse, and I get too lonely, I can always use Team Little Legs indoor training centre.


Team Little Legs indoors training centre, A.K.A the Playroom

The fund raising has ground to a halt somewhat and I am feeling a little demotivated after the high of the Great Yorkshire Run. I was really saddened when I saw that a facebook tribute page to a murderer had more likes than Team Little Legs. I have sent off numerous letters and got very few replies, those that do reply usually say no or bog off.  But I remember the words of Jonnie Peacock...paralympic 100m Gold Medallist, who said "I don't want to cross the finish line knowing that there was one second when I didn't try my hardest" and I don't want to get to April and know I didn't give it everything. So, I am resending the letters, sending out new ones, and making new plea's for sponsorship. Please help if you can.

Once again you can find us at all the regular places, with addition of Text Giving, text the amount and code LEGS55 to 70700 for a free way to support us. Thank you

www.facebook.com/TeamLittleLegs
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/RachelMarsden1


No comments:

Post a Comment